NOMADS cares about protecting your online privacy. We will not disclose any of your personal information to third parties without your consent.
Are you a kid? Learn to be safe while surfing on the Internet. Find out how kids can protect their online privacy.
- we do not use any information about where you personally go on our Site, nor do we give such information out to third parties; except in aggregate format, as described below;
- we do not give out your name, telephone number, credit card or other personal information, unless you (or, if you are a child under the age of 13, your parent or teacher) authorize us to do so or except where needed to deliver a product or service you ordered;
- unless you are an adult and you personally divulge personal information, we will not give out information that would link your profile, Member ID, or nickname with your actual name without your (or, if you are a child under the age of 13, your parent's or teacher's) prior consent; and
- we will always give you (or your parent or teacher) the opportunity to access and correct your personal contact and billing information at any time.
We either require or permit you to transfer personal information voluntarily at various areas on our Site. We only use this personal information for the specific purpose specified at the time you input such information. We never divulge such information to third parties without your consent.
Teacher Membership. To offer you enhanced functionality and safety at our site we require personal information from you. In order to become a member of NOMADS Online Classroom Expeditons, we ask you for your first and last name, email address, primary role, school affiliation, school name, school address, school zip code, and the grade levels and subjects most relevant to you. We also ask whether or not you'd like to receive email from NOMADS Adventure & Education. This membership is meant for teachers, administrators, and interested parents. It is not intended for children or K-12 students.
For educators around the world to have the opportunity to collaborate, as a teacher you can choose to share additional personal information publicly. Information to display includes your interests, first year of teaching, number of computers in your classroom/lab, and a teacher interview. This information will be shared entirely on a voluntary basis.
To ensure our teachers' safety, initial teacher to teacher contact remain anonymous for the recipient, since it is our policy not to divulge email addresses to third parties. All emails must go through our server. It is then forwarded by us to the intended recipient. Upon receiving the email, the recipient will see the email address of the sender and will have the option of responding. The header of such email will notify the recipient that the contact was made through NOMADS Online Classroom Expeditions.
NOMADS DOES NOT share email addresses or any other personal information about our members or subscribers with advertisers, business partners, sponsors or other third parties without your consent.
NOMADS email lists connect educators, keep you up-to-date with Internet resources, and provide the latest news on NOMADS Online Classroom Expeditions. Our collaboration list, give teachers the opportunity to collaborate in a gated environment online. Teachers give us their names and email addresses in order to subscribe to the lists they choose. This information (name and email address) is not shared with any third parties. Our email lists are hosted by NOMADS staff as well as by expert educators. At any time, the teacher may unsubscribe from such email lists.
There may be other times we request or acquire your email address, such as when you email us with questions or comments. We will only use your address to respond to emails from you, forward and send your emails to and from other NOMADS Online Classroom Expedition members and internal NOMADS employees who may be able to respond to you, send information to you concerning your account, and inform you of updates to our Web site if you have opted-in for such notification. Our email and collaboration lists are not intended for children.
We require prior parental or teacher consent through a postal mailed or faxed form (Permission Form) before intended postings containing a photograph of the student with the project (or any intended personal information) will be posted to the Site.
Our site visitors can buy products from our online Store.
If you choose to order offline we ask that you print out an order form which requests payment information, including credit card and expiration date, purchase order, and checking account. We also ask for your billing and shipping information which includes name, title, school name, address, email and phone number. This information is only used for the purpose of completing your order.
If you order online, we require your billing information exactly as it appears on your credit card statement so that we can process your order. Online orders also require your name, address, phone number, and email. Email is required so that we can send you a confirmation of your order. The information you provide is used solely for the purpose of completing your order.
When you buy from us online, our system automatically gathers purchase data, and we also record information about purchases made through our telemarketing, mail order, and other marketing operations. We give you the option to choose between online and offline purchase options. Product ordering is only intended to be by teachers, administrators, and interested parents and is not intended for children or K-12 students.
To improve the content of our Web pages and for general internal purposes we might gain less obvious, information, from you aside from information you actively disclose to us.
Computer Information. To allow subscribers access to NOMADS Online Classroom Expeditions gated community access we use an identifier in the form of a Member ID.
To help us fit our services to your individual needs and to help us diagnose problems you may be having with your system, we automatically query your computer for information about your computer system such as the speed of your modem, error messages you may have received, or operating system type.
Aggregate Information To make our site better for our users our system automatically gathers information about the areas you visit on our Site. We may share this aggregate statistical information with our partners, or other outside companies. But we never disclose individual names or personal navigational information.
Here are some examples of how we aggregate such information:
Your browser is most likely set up to accept cookies automatically. If youíd like to disable cookies, you may do so by adjusting the options or preferences in your browser. See our help section on cookies for more information.
Note: by doing so, you will lose some of the functionality of our site, will not be able to access our subscription areas, and will lose ability for personalization.
IP Addresses. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you begin service with an Internet Service Provider. NOMADS collects IP addresses for the purposes of system administration and to audit the use of our Site. Each time you sign onto our Site and each time you request one of our pages, our server logs your IP address.
NOMADS may require other information for tracking and/or verifying compliance with NOMADS Adventure & Education policies, fulfilling any prizes or promotions we may offer, as well as abiding by federal, state, and local laws, and/or for editorial and feedback solicitation purposes.
If you are a kid, click here to learn more about your privacy.
Our student users who are under 13 years of age need special safeguards and privacy protection. It is our intent to fully comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (or "COPPA").
We have special privacy policies to protect children using areas on the service specifically designed for them because we realize that children may not understand all the provisions of our policy or be able to make thoughtful decisions about the choices available to adult members.
We urge all parents, teachers, and classroom administrators to teach their children and/or students about protecting their personal information while online.
A good starting point for learning about childrenís privacy online is the U.S. Federal Trade Commissionís privacy section.
No personal information any other areas should be submitted to, or posted by, students under 13 years of age without the consent and guidance of their parent, teacher or guardian.
It is important to understand that only certain portions of our site are intended for or directed at children under the age of 13 years old.
We do not allow children under 13 to provide any direct personally identifiable information (for example, name, address, and telephone number information); all such information will be collected solely from teachers and/or parents. Such personal information provided by teachers and/or parents will be available only to the teacher, the student, and the studentís parent or guardian.
Without prior teacher or parental consent we will never otherwise share or use such information. While the information will generally not be personally identifiable information or third party personally identifiable information, to the extent that it is, we will:
- Maintain reasonable security procedures to protect personally identifiable information from the child or third party personally identifiable information from the child.
- Get consent from the child's parent or teacher before giving the child access to services that allow the child to publicly post or distribute personally identifiable information or third party personally identifiable information (with the exception of Epostcards).
- Ensure that no information collected from children under 13 years of age is knowingly used for any marketing or promotional purposes whatsoever, either inside or outside NOMADS Adventure & Education except as explicitly stated during registration for contests or promotions (and in that case, the information collected will be used only for the specific contest or promotion). In addition, although children under 13 years of age may be allowed to participate in some contests and promotions, if such a child wins, notification and prizes will be sent to the childís teacher, parent, or guardian. Publication of contest winners' names, ages, or images for individuals under 13 will require parental or guardian consent.
- Not entice a child by offering a special game, prize, or other activity to give more personal information than is needed to participate in that activity.
- Get consent from the child's parent or teacher (for example, by sending in a permission form by regular mail or by fax, or by email where permitted by COPPA regulations in effect April 21, 2000) before collecting, using, or distributing to third parties any personally identifiable information from the child or any third party personally identifiable information from the child. We will not otherwise share such information from the child with third parties.
- Provide the child's parent or teacher, upon request, with (1) a description of the specific types of personally identifiable information or third party personally identifiable information collected from the child and allow the parent or teacher to refuse further use or future online collection of such information; and (2) a means that is reasonable under the circumstances for the parent or teacher to obtain any personally identifiable information or third party personally identifiable information collected from the child.
- Use online contact information for the child (such as an email address) (a) only once to respond to a specific request from the child; (b) in order to request the name or online contact information of a parent or teacher in order to get the parent's or teacher's consent or provide notification to the parent or teacher; and (c) to respond more than once directly to a specific request from the child and not to recontact the child beyond the scope of that request. When the information is used to contact the child more than once, reasonable efforts will be taken to provide notification to the parent or teacher of the child.
- Make student registration available only after the student's teacher registers the classroom with NOMADS Online Classroom Expeditions creating studentís personal account. Such student registration may consist of asking the student for a nickname or user name which the teacher will be able to track.
- Monitor all the message boards and posts made on our Site. If NOMADS believes that the subject matter is inappropriate, we will refrain from posting the message on our Site, or we may simply remove all personally identifiable information.
If you have more questions or concerns about how to safeguard children's privacy, please visit the Federal Trade Commission's site